Platform beds are becoming increasingly popular thanks to their functionality, affordability, and sleek aesthetic design. They are an especially great choice if you want to avoid buying and using a box spring, since a platform bed allows you to simply put the sleeping mattress of your choice directly on the bed frame thanks to the sturdy foundation (which is usually constructed out of slats).
That being said, some mattresses are better for use with platform beds than others. With that in mind, we’ve put together this simple yet comprehensive article listing the best mattresses for platform beds. We’ll also share some advice for how to choose the best mattress for a platform bed. We hope that you find this article helpful and informative for choosing a mattress for your own platform bed.
5 Best Mattresses for Platform Beds 2021
There are a lot of mattresses currently available for purchase, but there’s no denying the fact that some mattresses are better than others (especially when it comes to mattresses that work best for a platform bed). With that in mind, we’ve put together this quick list containing what we feel are the best mattresses for platform beds.
This mattress is widely popular for the level of customization that is available when you purchase it. Constructed out of Helix Dynamic Foam, Pocketed Micro-coils, and high-grade poly-foam, the Helix mattress is ten inches thick and a great choice for anyone who wants both comfort and support. It’s also a great choice for couples due to the way it can be unique customized to suit your individual needs.
Additionally, this mattress is a great choice if you’re looking for something with good temperature regulation, because the layer of micro-coils increases the mattress’s breathability and help it to keep cool at night. Furthermore, it comes with a trial period of one hundred nights, so you will have more than enough time to both adjust to using this mattress and decide whether it’s the right choice for you. And on top of that, it also comes with a five-year warranty!
- Individualized support and comfort makes it great for anyone, even couples.
- Hybrid construction which promotes both comfort and support.
- Great temperature regulation for keeping cool while you rest.
- 100-night free trial period.
- 5-year warranty period.
- Reasonably priced for the high quality and customization it offers.
- The foam part of this mattress has been reported to not hold up well over long periods of time
This mattress from Brentwood Home is thirteen inches thick and an excellent choice for anyone who wants a combination of comfort and support. The greater thickness of this mattress also makes it an excellent choice for larger or more heavyset people, since it is better able to support the weight without breaking down. This mattress is also very comfortable thanks to the specially designed cover, which is both soft and breathable.
Furthermore, this mattress sleeps cool thanks to the top layer, which is made out of special gel memory foam; there is also a two-inch layer of Airluxe foam that helps to increase air flow throughout the mattress as well. As a result of these various qualities, this mattress is probably the best choice if you want something that is both supportive and breathable.
- Includes eco-friendly materials such as bamboo
- Is an excellent choice for temperature regulation and ventilation
- Is thicker, which helps to provide additional support
- Comes in three available firmness levels, so you can choose which option is best for your needs.
- Also has a 25-year warranty.
- Slightly more expensive compared to other options on account of the high quality materials.
- There are also some reports of the softer firmness options being too soft, and not offering enough in the way of support.
This specially designed mattress features three unique layers, each one designed to help promote comfort. There is one layer of memory foam that is three inches thick and designed to conform to the contours of your body, another layer (also with a thickness of three inches) that is designed to help with pressure relief, and then finally a thicker six-inch high-density base layer that serves as a strong foundation to those upper layers while also providing high levels of support.
And in addition to that, this mattress is made out of only the most high quality and cutting edge foams, meaning that they are both more supportive, more comfortable, and more responsive. Furthermore, all the foams used in creating this mattress are CertiPUR-US certified, meaning that they are guaranteed to contain no harmful metals, chemicals or anything else unsafe.
Also, this deluxe mattress from Zinus comes with a very generous ten year manufacturer's guarantee that covers any defects in the mattress that affect your ability to utilize and enjoy it. And in general, this mattress has great durability and is made to last.
- Excellent pressure relief to help alleviate tension and pain in your joints and muscles
- Tremendous comfort to help you fall asleep and stay asleep
- Great support thanks to the thick foundation layer
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Comes with a ten year manufacturer’s guarantee
- Very durable; built to last a long time.
- Very stable thanks to the high-density foundation layer.
- Very easy to unpack and set up.
- No unpleasant off-gassing odor when unpacking.
- Very reasonably priced for the quality.
- Great for motion isolation, meaning that if you share a bed with someone else you don’t need to worry about vibrations caused by movement disturbing their rest.
- Because it is made entirely out of different memory foams, it does retain quite a bit of heat.
- The firm option is said by some customers to be too hard to sleep on comfortably.
This specially designed mattress is constructed out of three different layers: the top layer is made out of special latex material that is designed to be responsive while also promoting greater air, the middle layer is made out of gel foam, and the thicker memory foam base serves as a supportive foundation.
Additionally, this mattress is available in two different firmness options: Medium Firm and Medium Soft. The Medium Firm choice is generally considered to be a better choice for back sleepers as well as anyone who sprawls out when they sleep, since it will offer you greater levels of support for your spine and joints. Alternatively, the Medium Soft option is better for side sleepers and stomach sleepers, since it offers body-contouring comfort with just enough firmness to give you support without making you feel uncomfortable while you rest.
- Free of allergens, so it’s a great hypoallergenic choice for anyone who might be sensitive to certain materials substances found in other brands of mattresses
- Great for reducing motion transference (the phenomena where vibrations caused by movement spread throughout the entire mattress), making it a great choice for couples.
- An excellent choice for pressure relief as well as for reducing aches and pains in your muscles or joints.
- Reasonably priced for high quality design and materials.
- Available in two firmness options.
- Not a great choice for anyone who is heavyset or overweight, because the mattress can sink in too deep.
- Retains a little more heat than other types of mattresses.
- Sells out quickly on third-party seller sites (such as Amazon) and may be listed as unavailable until they re-stock, so you may have to buy directly from the manufacturer.
This high quality mattress is crafted entirely out of natural materials, from the Dunlop latex that comprises the layers to the cover which is made from wool and organic cotton.
Additionally, this mattress is excellent for the way it can be customized easily at home; all you need to do if you want to adjust the firmness of your mattress is unzip the cover and rearrange the layers of the mattress. Furthermore, because all the layers are constructed out of latex, the mattress as a whole is more responsive no matter how the layer are arranged.
- Comes with a ten year warranty.
- Made of natural materials.
- Has anti-microbial properties thanks to the fact that it is made entirely out of different latex materials.
- Better breathability and air flow, as well as temperature regulation and heat dissipation.
- Is significantly more expensive when compared to other mattress options.
- Not a great choice for anyone who is heavyset.
How to Choose the Best Mattress For Platform Beds
There’s a lot to keep in mind when shopping for any kind of mattress, but when shopping for a mattress for a platform bed there are certain qualities you should be keeping in mind. We’ve compiled the following factors to focus on when choosing a mattress for your platform bed.
Support: It’s important to have a supportive mattress just in general (to ensure proper back support, pressure relief, and spinal alignment when you sleep), but it’s even more important to have the right level of support when you’re using a platform bed. This is because you will not have a box spring underneath your primary mattress to provide additional support. Instead, all the support you receive will come from your mattress itself (and the platform bed itself, which serves as a sturdy foundation).
Comfort: How comfortable your mattress is should also be a significant factor you consider. After all, if your mattress doesn’t feel comfortable to you, it’s very unlikely that you’ll be able to get a restful night’s sleep on it. Therefore, it’s important to try and choose a mattress that is plush enough to contour to the curves of your body and provide maximum comfort for you while you rest.
Weight: While it’s important for a mattress to be sturdy enough to support your full body weight (as well as the full body weight of your sleeping partner if you have one) it’s important to consider the physical limitations of your platform bed when selecting a mattress. Certain types of mattresses (such as those made out of latex) can be heavy, and if the mattress you select is too heavy for your platform bed to support, you could end up damaging or breaking your bed frame. Therefore, it’s important to know your platform bed’s maximum weight capacity before shopping for a mattress and then choose your mattress accordingly.
Height: How thick you mattress is also matters not just in the context of comfort and support, but also for height. Your mattress should rest at a comfortable height for you when placed upon your platform bed; a mattress that is too thick might be too high to get into or out of comfortably, so make sure to factor in the height of both your platform bed and your mattress.
Warranty and Return Policy: Finally, when choosing a mattress is also important to read the fine print of the warranty and return policy. Because whole you may be confident that the mattress you’re buying the right now, you won’t know for sure until you’ve taken it home and slept on it for a few weeks. Therefore, it’s important to make sure that whatever mattress you choose comes with both a reasonably long warranty that covers any defects in the mattress and a fair returns policy that will allow you to take the mattress back if it’s not the right fit for your needs and lifestyle.
As you can see, there are a lot of things to keep mind when selecting the best mattress for a platform bed, and plenty of great options to choose from once you have narrowed down what you’re looking for. Ultimately, what type of mattress you choose to purchase and use is a decision you must make for yourself, but we hope that the information we’ve shared with you in this article will prove helpful in finding the right mattress for your needs.