Finding the best running shoes for wide feet could be a daunting experience especially when you don’t have tips for choosing the shoes that fit you perfectly. This has even been complicated further by the wide variety of running shoes that are available out there in the world.
But with the right tips for selecting perfect running shoes, you will not only have effortless experience while choosing your best running shoes but you will also save a lot of money while shopping for the same. You may ask yourself: how do I choose the best running shoes for wide feet?
How To Choose The Best Running Shoes For Wide Feet
There are a few factors you shouldn’t overlook when shopping for some best walking or running shoes for wide feet. Before spending your hard-earned money on some running shoes, consider their size and weight.
1. Lightweight Shoes
Choose running shoes that are lightweight and have a wide enough toe box. This will make sure that you have shoes that accommodate your feet length and width perfectly well, and are also light for a better running experience.
2. Type Of Place To Run
You should also consider where you will run. Some of the places on which you might run are tracks, roads, trails and treadmills just to mention a few. There are running shoes for wide feet for all these terrains. You should consider where you will run before buying yourself some best running shoes for wide feet.
3. Material Of Construction
Since you’re looking for quality and possibly durability, you should buy shoes that are made of high-quality materials. High-quality running shoes will last long despite the number of miles you run in them.
Look for running shoes that have excellent arch support and are also flexible to improve your running experience. This will reduce any risks such as injuries or pain while using such shoes.
4. Design Of The Shoes
You could also look at their design and colors. If you’re planning to run during night time, you could buy running shoes that have a reflective design. You could also choose running shoes that have your favorite colors which could match your skin and outfit color.
Choosing running shoes that have the design and color that you prefer will improve your confidence while running. Aesthetics is just as important as other factors when you’re buying best running shoes for wide feet.
5. Breathability and Comfort
The shoes breathability and comfort is another important factor to look out for. You should buy running shoes that have breathable mesh and waterproof materials to keep your feet fresh and dry.
Also, you should choose those shoes that have comfortable cushioning for great comfort during your running sessions.
This will help in making sure you don’t get injuries such as blisters. As a result you won’t need to worry about how faster you can recover after an injury because you won’t get the injuries in the first place.
6. Consider The Brand
Lastly, you should consider buying running shoes from reputable brands that make high-quality running shoes for wide feet. You should also have a budget.
7. The Size Of The Wiggle Room
When shopping for the best running shoes for wide feet, buy running shoes that have enough wiggle room. This will increase the comfort of your toes. The space between your longest toe and the front of your running shoes should be about the width of your thumb. This is enough wiggle room for your feet and toes.
8. Comfort and Safety Of The Ankle Collar
You should also buy running shoes that have a comfortable and safe ankle collar. This is what holds your heel down inside your running shoes. Make sure to buy running shoes that don’t slip off because they have the best ankle collar.
Pay attention to details such as ankle collar padding, and how it interacts with bones on your ankles. The curve on the ankle collar should also hold your Achilles tendons gently but firmly for safety and comfort.
9. Consider The Outsole
Lastly, you should look for the best outsole while buying the best running shoes for wide feet. The sole is where the rubber meets the road. This is a crucial tip that you shouldn’t overlook. The sole should be made of a material that provides maximum traction and also durability for your running shoes.
The running shoes’ soles should not add unnecessary weight to the shoes especially if you are running for weigh loss. The sole should also have a footprint shape that matches your footprint shape.
Top 10 Best Running Shoes for Wide Feet 2021
|ASICS Men's GEL-Venture 5 Running Shoe||Synthetic||Men||4.6|
|New Balance Men's 990v4||Leather and Textile||Men||4.6|
|ASICS Men's Gel-Contend 4 Running Shoe||Synthetic||Men||4.5|
|ASICS Men's Gel-Kayano 24 Running Shoes||Textile/Synthetic||Men||4.7|
|Brooks Men's Ghost 11||Synthetic||Men||4.5|
|ASICS Women's GEL-Venture 5 Running Shoe||Synthetic||Women||4.6|
|Brooks Women's Ghost 11||Rubber||Women||4.6|
|Brooks Women's Glycerine 15||Fabric,Mesh||Women||4.5|
|Saucony Women's Cohesion 10 Running Shoe||Mesh||Women||4.5|
|New Balance Women's Fresh Foam Arishi V1 Running Shoe||Synthetic/Mesh upper||Women||4.3|
1. ASICS Men’s GEL-Nimbus 20 Running Shoe – Best Comfortable Running Shoes
For runners with wide feet, the best running shoes for you are those that are designed with a little more room in their forefoot area. You want your feet to be comfortable while running so that you can have a luxurious ride.
This shoe brand features an updated mesh on its upper that gives it a more relaxed feel. Its outsole is made of the ASICS High Abrasion Rubber that makes it durable and provides your feet with protection on all kinds of paved surfaces.
The ASICS Gel-Nimbus 20 shoe is also designed with a gel cushioning element on its midsole section. This gel is silicon-based. It absorbs shock from your foot when it strikes the ground. As a result, your every step will be more comfortable so as to give you a smooth transition of your gait from heel to toe.
- It is available in multiple widths.
- Features attractive colorways that make it visually appealing.
- Its upper construction is seamless.
- Gel cushioning system provides comfort and support.
- Offers good traction on several surfaces.
- Designed with vertical flex grooves to improve your gait efficiency.
- Costs more as compared to its predecessors.
- The toe box is quite stiff.
- Its arch support is minimal.
2. Brooks Addiction 12 – Best for Severe Overpronators
Designed to be a motion control shoe brand, the Brooks Addiction 12 is ideal for overpronators and runners with wide feet. Its outsole is made for road running. It is made of an HPR Plus material that is denser than regular outsoles. The Addiction 12 also has MC Pods running along the length of the outsole for added flexibility.
Its midsole is made of the BioMoGo EVA cushioning that is resistant to impact and effectively wards off muscle fatigue. It also offers excellent good energy return. Even better, the Brooks
Addiction 12 also features tri-density EVA foam that is put in key places on the shoes to reduce over pronation by preventing over twisting in your stride.
The Brooks Addiction 12 has a highly breathable upper mesh. The upper is not only lightweight but also has moisture wicking properties. The toe box is also roomy enough to accommodate your wide feet.
- Price is budget friendly.
- Made of eco-friendly materials.
- Designed to offer a smoother transition from heel to toe.
- Features a diagonal Rollbar to control your run.
- Offers adaptive cushioning.
- Its HPR Plus outsole offers excellent traction on several types of surfaces.
- Available in colors that are simple and neutral.
- It’s quite heavy as compared to other running shoes.
- Its upper mesh wears off quickly.
3. New Balance 1080v6 – Best for Long Distance Running
This running shoe brand from New Balance is the 6th version of the 1080 series. It is designed to provide runners with wide feet high quality performance and service. The shoes will secure on your feet and comfortable. Its outsole is made of the Ndurance carbon rubber for durability.
The rubber in the outsole is blown to make the shoe well cushioned and responsive. That’s not all, the flex grooves on its outsole adds flexibility to the shoe’s forefoot section. Its midsole is made of Fresh Foam for a smooth cushioning. Its upper section is designed to deliver maximum breathability.
The Fresh Foam features a bootie construction for a smooth and comfortable fit. The seamless construction of the upper helps to reduce blisters and irritations even when you wear the shoes for quite long.
- Will keep your feet comfortable even if you wear it all day.
- The upper fabric perfectly wraps around the contours of your feet.
- The toe box is roomy enough.
- Excellent weight profile.
- Reliable traction on most surfaces.
- Firmer midsole that makes it more supportive of your feet.
- Smooth heel-to-toe transition.
- The upper mesh material makes it breathable.
- The rough edges on its instep may cause some irritation.
- The stitched overlays may feel uncomfortable to the skin.
4. Mizuno Wave Rider 20 – Best for Flat Feet
It is the 20th version of the Mizuno Wave shoe series. This latest version features several technologies that make it a comfortable shoe brand that will give runners with wide feet the best running experience. Its upper unit is made with fabrics that give it a secure fit that is anatomically accommodating.
The upper unit also consists of stretchable materials so that the shoes can conform to the movement and shape of your foot. The mesh material used on the upper makes the shoes breathable so that air can easily enter the foot chambers. The overlays on the upper fabrics give the shoes a snug coverage.
The outsole platform is made of flexible material to make the Mizuno Wave Rider 20 agreeable to your foot’s natural movement. The flex grooves on the unit work to make your running experience as natural as possible. You will get a rocking-chair-like movement whenever you take a step in these shoes. This will help you to achieve a smooth and responsive ride.
- Features a visually appealing design.
- Adequately lightweight.
- Suitable for use in different activities.
- The upper unit is excellently breathable.
- Soft and comfortable underfoot experience.
- The midsole features a U4icX cushioning technology that makes it more efficient and robust.
- Wider foot chamber for wide feet.
- The upper fabric wears off quickly.
- Cushioning feels quite firm for long distance runners.
- The upper is a bit too plush hence may make your feet feel sweaty.
5. Nike Air Zoom Structure 19 – Best for Extra Wide Feet
The Nike Air Zoom Structure 19 is designed to deliver a quality running experience to wide feet runners and those whose foot motion is over pronated. The Zoom Structure’s midfoot support unit will prevent your feet from rolling inwards whenever you take each step. Its upper unit is made of Flymesh to give you a well-ventilated running experience so that your feet will remain cool and dry throughout.
It comes with a variety of upper designs to choose from. Its midsole unit features a triple density foam for more responsive underfoot support, pronation control and comfortable cushioning. Every foot strike that you will take will be made smoother and more supportive.
Its waffle outsole offers durable protection and excellent traction on multiple surfaces. The deep flex grooves enhance your natural gait cycle. The only issue that some customers hate regarding this shoe brand is how heavy it is. You may also sometimes feel uncomfortable because of the pressure that it exerts on the lateral side of your feet.
- Comfortable running experience when you wear it.
- Helps to alleviate foot pain and discomfort.
- Responsive midsole unit for a smooth gait transition.
- Excellent overall durability.
- Good traction capability on all types of surfaces.
- Comes in a variety of widths for everyone.
- Suitable for long-distance running.
- Rear sections and midfoot areas still feel tight to some users.
- Feels heavy.
- You may feel some discomfort due to the pressure on the lateral side of your foot.
6. Saucony Cohesion 10 – Best for Supinators
The lightweight Saucony Cohesion 10 is perfect for recreational runners and entry-level runners with wide feet. The Saucony’s Tri-Flex outsole is engineered to provide exceptional flexibility, shock attenuation, and good traction to runners on all kinds of surfaces.
Its midsole section is made of an injection molded EVA foam for shock absorption and cushioning. The foam is thick enough for adequate performance. Its upper features a network of overlays on both of its sides. The overlays help to support your foot without causing overbearing. Saucony’s collar and tongue are well padded for added foot comfort.
Since the shoe’s insoles are removable, you can replace them with your own orthotics. The soft mesh upper has numerous holes for breathability. The shoes also have reflective details on their upper so that you can safely run with them at dusk or before dawns.
- Extremely comfortable to wear.
- Reasonably priced considering its performance.
- It’s lighter as compared to its previous models.
- Good durability.
- Visually appealing design.
- Comes in multiple widths and colors.
- Requires no break in period.
- The cushioning in the forefoot area is a bit stiff.
- Its grip on wet surfaces isn’t that good.
7. Brooks Adrenaline GTS – Best for Knee Pains
Wide feet runners who require support to deal with over pronation will love this pair of shoes. It is designed with the DNA LOFT-a patented Brook’s cushioning technology to give your foot defined support. It also features the GuideRails Holistic Support System to offer support to your heel’s lateral areas. The result will be a balanced underfoot performance.
Its outsole is made of blown rubber for maximum protection and traction of your foot. The outsole’s spongy configuration will provide you with extra cushioning. The flex grooves on the outsole will make the shoes to bend with your foot throughout your gait cycle. The midsole unit gives the shoes a bouncy and consistently cushioned feeling.
Its upper features an engineered mesh structure that is both lightweight and smooth. The upper unit will feel comfortable whenever it rubs against your skin. The 3D printed overlays on its heels and sides help to hold the shoe in place so that it doesn’t slip out of your foot.
- It’s comfortable right out of the box.
- It is light hence good for long-distance running.
- Breathable and flexible upper unit.
- Excellent support for overpronators.
- Given its general quality, it is affordably priced.
- The upper does not irritate the skin.
- Wraps around the foot for a snug fit.
- Runs half the size smaller.
- The toe box is not roomy enough.
8. Hoka One One Bondi 5 – Best for Shock Absorbing
The Bodi 5 is perfect for wide feet runners as it promises ultimate comfort. What makes this shoe brand to stand out from the rest is its maximum cushioning. It looks like Hoka One One considered a lot of points of concerns for runners before designing the Bondi 5.
Its outsole is 100 percent made of rubber for excellent grip on all surfaces. The rubber outsole also makes the shoe durable. The Bondi 5 has EVA foam placed on its midsole area that covers its entire length. This gives the shoes soft pillow feel that perfectly wraps around your foot.
The shoe’s tongue features an open engineered and seamlessly constructed mesh. The mesh material promotes air circulation within the shoes to make them breathable. The upper is also designed to give your foot detailed support. What’s more, it is also excellently stable and therefore very ideal to be used by runners having wide feet.
- Full-length midsole for comfort and a better fit.
- The 3D puff print for added comfort and fit.
- Rubber outsole makes the shoe long-lasting.
- Designed to offer a smooth heel transition due to its rockered design.
- The padded tongue facilitates all-around comfort.
- Available in multiple widths for all foot sizes.
- Excellently stable.
- The tongue may sometimes push up against your ankle’s front areas resulting into discomfort.
- It lacks responsiveness.
- It’s not super flexible.
9. Under Armour Men’s Dash 2 – Best for Casual Runners
All the components of the Under Armour Men’s Dash 2 work in harmony so as to provide runners with a lot more for what they are paying for. Its outsole is made of a high-quality rubber that delivers maximum traction even on tricky terrains such as asphaltic surfaces. Since rubber is durable, you will keep running in your shoes for a long time.
The Under Armour men’s Dash features a highly responsive midsole that is made of EVA foam. The foam also gives the shoes the desirable bouncy feel that runners are always looking for in running shoes. As a result, the Armour men’s Dash 2 has a high energy return that will keep you running for longer without feeling exhausted.
The upper is made of a breathable mesh. This ensures that there is excellent air circulation in your shoes. Your shoes will, therefore, stay comfortably dry throughout your running sessions. The only issue is that it comes in limited color options and sometimes runs half a size narrow.
- Has an additional textile lining inside it for extra breathability.
- Its lace-up closure ensures that the shoe gives you a snug fit.
- Its midsole foam makes it super comfortable.
- Excellently flexible.
- Features a strong and durable construction.
- The outsole offers good traction.
- Stylish look.
- Limited color options.
- Runs half a size narrow.
10. Salomon Men’s Speedcross 4 – Best for Trail Running
This iconic shoe brand is built for trail running. It features a tough construction with aggressive treads that are tooth-like. With this shoe brand, you can tackle any terrain, whether rocky or muddy. The outsole is made of a Contagrip rubber that offers exceptional grip on rugged terrains. The outsole surface has arrow-shaped lugs that face opposite each other to facilitate multi-directional grip.
The midsole is made of a thick molded EVA foam which acts as the main cushioning material. The midsole foam also offers protection from the rough objects and surfaces. The Speedcross 4 also features an Ortholite sock liner that is removable.
The sockliner has antibacterial properties to provide an odor-free environment. The sock liner also provides additional cushioning on the underfoot area. However, this shoe brand tends to take too long to dry and this is something that some people hate. It’s anti-debris mesh also hampers breathability on most occasions.
- Breathable upper.
- Upper made of water-resistant material to keep your foot dry even when running on wet surfaces.
- Comfortable even when worn for longer periods.
- It’s a monster I wet conditions, on mud and snow.
- Excellent ground feedback.
- Quicklace system for easy cinching.
- Its anti-debris mesh keeps off dirt and debris from getting inside the shoe while running.
- Does not dry quickly when it gets wet.
- The anti-debris mesh hampers breathability.
F.A.Qs about running shoes
As a runner, you might ask yourself some of these questions:
• How do I know I have bought the right shoe size?
You will know you have bought the right size of running shoes when putting them on. They will feel comfortable from the time you put them on until you take them off. Also, your feet will not ache, blister or chafe in the right running shoes! In case you experience one of these problems, you could consider changing the size.
• Is running with wide feet any different from running with normal-sized feet?
You will be relieved to find out that there is no much difference at all besides the fact that you will be running with wider shoes. The running experience will remain the same since you will maintain the same posture, pacing and rest as people with normal-sized feet! However, people who have wide feet may be prone to injuries if they don’t buy the best running shoes for wide feet.
• Should I use sandals for running or hiking if I have wide feet?
Sandals don’t have well-designed arches and are, therefore, unsafe for people with wide feet. Also, they are uncomfortable since they don’t have no cushion. As such, you should only buy the best running shoes for people with wide feet which may also have low arches.
To wind up, having high quality running shoes for wide feet will give you a lot of freedom and a snug fit for a comfortable running experience. That is why we have reviewed for you the best running shoes for wide feet so that you have an easy time selecting the right shoes for yourself.
When it comes to our pick, we would go with the ASICS Men’s GEL-Nimbus 20 Running Shoe. It is the most comfortable running shoes for people with wide feet. Besides being roomy enough, it features a unique gel-cushioning element for a luxurious ride.
The cushioning system efficiently absorbs shock every time your foot strikes the ground. It also offers excellent grip making it suitable for use on all types of surfaces.