If you are suffering from plantar fasciitis, then walking can sometimes be painful and uncomfortable. To alleviate your pain, you should wear walking shoes that will offer your feet extra support to the plantar fascia part.
These shoes are designed to absorb impacts on your heels. To help you choose the ideal shoe for you, we have reviewed the best walking shoes for plantar fasciitis for you.
How to Choose the Best Walking Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
You can make sure that you only buy the best walking shoes to alleviate your plantar fasciitis by looking for certain features. These features will help you distinguish if a pair of walking shoes you may be about to buy will be great for you. Here are features that your walking shoes should have so that you can have the best workouts.
Sufficient Arch Support
The first thing you want in your walking shoe is sufficient arch support. You will feel pain and discomfort when you wear regular walking shoes since they are not designed to handle plantar fasciitis. Arch support will prevent your feet from over pronating. Walking shoes with good arch support will also help your foot to maintain its natural position as you walk.
Comfortable Shoe Lining and Insoles
If you are suffering from plantar fasciitis, your main priority should be staying comfortable in your walking shoes. As a result, you might worsen your foot pains if you have the wrong choice of insole. You should consider how much comfort the shoe will offer to your feet, especially at the pressure points.
You should also prioritize how much cushioning your shoe will offer your feet. The amount of cushioning in the insole will determine how the shoes contour to the structure of your foot. The outsole should also be made of rubber to maximum impact absorption form your steps. The rubber outsole also facilitates maximum grip on surfaces so that you can comfortably walk without slip.
Wide Toe Box
Shoes that cram up your toes will leave you in excruciating pain. You can avoid this if you prioritize shoes with wide toe box whenever you are buying a pair of walking shoes. A toe box that is wide enough should allow you to comfortably and effortlessly roll your rear foot and middle-foot at the front of your foot.
Best Walking Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis 2021
|Orthofeet Pacific Men’s Sneakers Palisades
|New Balance Men’s Walking Shoes
|Brook’s Men Addiction Walker:
|Asics-Gel Tech Walker Neo 4
|Sketchers Mens Instinct Sneaker Gowalk 4
|Orthofeet Most Comfortable Verve Women Shoes
|Saucony Integrity ST 2 ProGrid Walking Shoe
|Brooks Women’s Walker Addiction
|New Balance Women’s Fitness Walking Shoes
|Sketchers 15601 Women’s Wide Walking Shoe
Best Walking Shoes for Men
1. Best Overall Pick – Orthofeet Pacific Men’s Sneakers Palisades
Since you spend most of your time on your feet, you need the perfect walking shoe that will protect you from pain and lessen your fatigue. Orthofeet Orthotic walking shoes are designed to make you feel like you are walking on a pillow making them the perfect walking shoe for you if you are suffering from plantar fasciitis.
Its interior is made of soft cushions to absorb the impact on your feet and to enable you walk without feeling the sinking effect. Sturdy synthetic sole will offer your feet the right amount of traction and support. Linings are padded to offer additional protection to your feet. Even better, the Orthofeet Orthotoic walking shoes feature excellent arch support that will alleviate your back, leg and foot pain.
Besides that, its toe room is extra spacious so that you can move your toes around freely without any restrictions. This roomy toe is very important since it allows you to add your own orthotic inserts. Another amazing feature about the Orthofeet Orthotoic walking shoes is that you can walk with them on any surface. You are, therefore, assured of maximum stability and traction even when walking on slippery surfaces.
- Lightweight sole with air pockets to add spring to your step.
- Interior lining is padded with foam to eliminate to offer superior comfort.
- Upper is soft and non-binding to eliminate pressure points.
- Gel padding on the heels to lower heel pain and plantar fasciitis.
- Also suitable for people with flat feet.
- Upper is made of leather which conforms to the foot for comfort.
- High quality footbeds.
- They fit well.
- They tend to wear out faster.
- Quite expensive.
2. Best Stylish Pick – New Balance Men’s Walking Shoes
The New Balance Walking Shoes for men is a great option for you if you are looking to ease your plantar fasciitis whenever you are walking. It is designed with stability and comfort in mind. The New Balance men’s shoe features an EVA footbed, IMEVA and ABZORB cushioning. These materials combine to provide a non-compressing and flexible platform.
Its non-marking outsole will not leave any streaks on your studio or gym floor. The outsole is also made of a durable and flexible rubber compound to conform to the natural bending of your foot. The outsole is also extended to the front of the shoe to offer abrasion protection to the toe area.
The midsole has the ABZORB cushioning throughout its full-length to give the shoe a comfortable base. It also has an EVA foam on its footbed for added comfort. This New Balance shoe has an internal shank between the footbed and the midsole. This helps to reinforce the arch area so that bending only happens in the forefoot area of the shoe.
The upper unit is made of perforated leather that offers structured support and breathability to the shoe. The collar is cushioned to prevent ankle irritation when you wear it.
- Well breathable.
- Features a stylish suede finish.
- Excellently cushioned for extra comfort.
- You can use orthotic inserts with them.
- Great arch support.
- Its leather upper gives it a nice look.
- The leather upper also makes the shoe durable.
- The seams are of low quality.
- Flex grooves may get dirty and crack after some time.
3. Best Arch Support – Brook’s Men Addiction Walker
This men’s walking shoe is designed to offer you with a comfortable walking experience. Thanks to its stylish design, it can easily blend in with your daily outfits. It features a slip resistant rubber outsole that makes the shoe durable. The MC Pod construction on its forefoot area facilitates a balanced and stable posture by enabling your foot to be fully grounded throughout the shoe’s entire length.
Their thick midsoles have BioMoGo platforms that give the shoe great comfort and durable cushioning. This unique BioMoGo DNA platform also facilitates a smooth walking experience by lowering the shock impact on your foot. The DNA in this platform is a type of fluid that gets more viscous when pressure is applied to it. When your foot exerts pressure on the midsole, this fluid will become firm hence protecting your feet.
The Brook’s Men Addiction also has the Progressive Diagonal Rollbar in its arch area that smoothen the transition of the foot from heel to toe. The upper is made of full-grain leather for durability and added comfort. Inside the upper, there is a soft and plush material that enables the foot to have a snug fit without adding pressure on your foot. The plush is thickest around the shoe collar to prevent ankle irritation.
- Good traction on wet and dry surfaces due to its slip-resistant outsole.
- Excellently supportive hence suitable for people with low arches and over pronators.
- Versatile shoe since you can even wear it for other outdoor activities.
- Helps in alleviating foot, leg and back pains.
- Has a 12mm drop that makes it suitable for heel-strikers.
- Durable enough.
- Steady sole unit.
- A bit pricy.
- It’s not breathable.
4. Best Alternative Pick – Asics-Gel Tech Walker Neo 4
This shoe brand has been voted by the American Podiatric Medical Association as one of the best stable walking shoes for people with plantar fasciitis. Its unique Impact Guidance System helps to facilitate natural flexion. Its outsole employs AHAR technology that gives the shoe powerful traction on all types of surfaces, including wet and slippery ones.
This technology also gives the outsole the durability it needs since it has high abrasion resistance. Asics also employs the Space Trusstic System that maintains its structural integrity so that it doesn’t lose its shape. It also stabilizes your foot so that the shoes don’t twist unnecessarily when your feet move dynamically.
Asics Solyte midsoles are plush, responsive and lightweight. This midsole material is not only 50% lighter than EVA midsoles but also absorbs 20% more shock. The DuoMax Support System in its midsole enhances stability to prevent your foot from overpronating.
The forefoot and rearfoot section features a GEL cushioning system for added shock absorption. Your foot will be protected from any potential injuries that may result from impact. Even better, the shoe employs Ortholite technology that gives it moisture wicking abilities. You can wear this shoe for long periods without your feet getting sweaty.
- Upper is made of a breathable mesh material.
- The Bimorphic Fit on the upper eliminates buckling and prevents potential skin irritation.
- Padded collar and tongue for extra support.
- They have a sporty look.
- Outsole made of rubber hence durable.
- The Trusstic system lowers the weight of the outsole unit.
- The Solyte midsoles also make the shoe to be lightweight.
- Gel cushioning on rear and forefoot areas facilitates long distance walking.
- Ortholite Sockliner offers additional comfort.
- Lacing system sometimes irritates the skin.
- Outsole wears off after a few months.
5. Best Breathable Option – Sketchers Mens Instinct Sneaker Gowalk 4
These shoes offer incredible comfort and greatness in one package. When you look at this shoe type, you will realize that it was specifically made with the intention of being used as a walking shoe for people with plantar fasciitis. Its outsole is flat so that all your weight and energy are evenly spread out so that there is no focused stress on a particular area of your foot.
The outsoles also have scale-like patterns that offer maximum traction so that you can walk even on slippery surfaces without slipping. The midsole are built from Sketcher’s proprietary 5GEN material that offers excellent stability and responsiveness.
They feature a mesh upper that is designed to expand naturally depending on the size of your foot. This gives you a snug fit without feeling any discomfort.
- Has an athletic appearance.
- Lightweight hence suitable for long walks.
- Good breathability.
- Extra synthetic overlays at the toe area for added durability.
- Easier to wear since they are designed to be slip-ons.
- Highly responsive midsole cushioning that offers maximum energy return.
- Plush insoles that offers comfortable walking sessions.
- Tapering design in the mid foot area that offers maximum arch support.
- Are about half size smaller than their true size.
- Wears off after a few months of use.
Best Walking Shoes for Women
1. Best Overall Pick – Orthofeet Most Comfortable Verve Women Shoes
These women’s walking shoes are known for their comfort and versatility. They are designed with all the premium elements that plantar fasciitis walking shoes should have. First, they have a roomy-toe design making them suitable for women with toe problems. Their synthetic lightweight soles and extra wide design will make walking to be a breeze.
The best thing about Orthofeet Verve Women Shoes is their outstanding design. When you have them on, nobody will notice that you are wearing plantar fasciitis shoes. They look like regular sneakers. Its soft and breathable interior linings will prevent your feet from being too sweaty and smelly.
This shoe brand features a bio-mechanical design that is innovative and facilitates a non-binding and relaxed fit. As a result, the Orthofeet Verve Women walking shoe will offer you maximum protection against your pressure points. Its premium cushioned orthotic soles also enhance your stability and softens your step.
Comfort is further enhanced by the wide toe box and extra depth design. Your foot will spread out naturally and feel relaxed when you wear it. You can wear it for long without feeling any foot irritation.
- Offers maximum arch support due to its contoured insole.
- Ergonomic outsole with air cushioning to add spring to your step.
- Cushioning heel pad will alleviate any heel pain by conforming to your foot contours.
- Biomechanically engineered cushion system to enhance stability.
- Designed to facilitate natural foot motion.
- Non-binding upper design for superior comfort.
- Perfect fit.
- Comes with extra inserts to fill in the gaps if need be.
- Has adjustable strap for the heel.
- Velcro tabs allow you to immediately loosen the laces when removing your shoes.
- They are trimmed in a glossy vinyl that cheapens its look.
- The company logo displayed at the top of the tongue lets everyone know you are wearing orthopaedic shoe.
- The soles start to wear out after some months.
2. Best Alternative Pick – Saucony Integrity ST 2 ProGrid Walking Shoe
The Saucony ST 2 Integrity walking shoe is made for women. It is one of the best walking shoes since it combines functionality, great pricing and popularity. It comes in a wide range of sizes that ladies can choose from.
Its outsole is made of blown rubber that makes it hard-wearing yet lightweight. This rubber outsole gives the shoe bouncy characteristics that protect your feet from the impact when it strikes the ground.
Saucony’s ST 2 midsole features the Walk Trac Technology that serves to guide your foot when you walk so that it unintrusively transitions from your heel to the ball of your foot. The flex grooves located in the forefoot area facilitates natural gait by enabling your foot to bend naturally as you walk.
In its midsole area, Saucony has a CMEVA layer as the main component of its cushioning system. This layer also makes the shoe responsive and long-lasting. On the heel section, it has a ProGrid cassette that centers all the impact on your foot and makes the shoe to bounce back when you strike your heel.
The forefoot area features an HRC compound that gives the shoe a final rebound as your foot completes its gait cycle. The upper is made of full-grain leather to give you a secure and snug foothold. The rearfoot, midfoot and toe cap areas have extra overlays to protect them from abrasion.
- Spacious forefoot area so that your toes can splay comfortably.
- Has a plush collar to prevent irritation on your ankles.
- Padded tongue protects the insteps from the pressure that results from the shoelaces.
- Very comfortable.
- Adequate support and cushioning.
- Soothes various foot problems.
- Feels light on the foot.
- Fits well.
- Limited colour schemes you can choose from.
- Outsole lacks sufficient traction on wet surfaces.
- Does not have padding on the footbed.
3. Best Stylish Look – Brooks Women’s Walker Addiction
There are thousands of positive reviews that recommend the Brooks Women’s Addiction Walker shoes to women with plantar fasciitis. Although Brooks has a reputation for making the best quality running shoes, they also make high quality walking shoes that are worth a look. The Addiction Walker is one of their best women’s walking shoes.
The Women’s Addiction Walker has been designed to be a comfortable and functional walking shoe to allow women to have extensive walking sessions. Its outsole is made of a compound that is slip-resistant. Besides being slip resistant, the outsole material is also hard wearing so that you can walk on rough and hard surfaces without the outsole wearing out easily.
It features an MC Pod construction on its forefoot area to keep you stable. The Pod construction will keep you stable by ensuring that your foot makes full contact with the ground so that you are balanced and stable throughout your gait cycle as you walk.
When it comes to its midsole, the Brook’s Women’s Addiction employs its patented BioMoGo midsole that is made of a biodegradable foam. It helps to keep your foot cushioned and protected. The biodegradable foam also offers arch support by guiding your foot as your gait transitions from heel to toe.
- It is true to size as it fits well.
- Upper made of full-grain leather for comfort and durability.
- Full length midsole innovative cushioning for extra comfort.
- Features an Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar to provide arch support and keep your foot steady.
- Wider forefoot ensures that your foot doesn’t roll excessively outwards or inwards.
- Reasonably priced given its design quality.
- Its design is stylish.
- Its sole unit may feel a bit stiff and uncomfortable.
- Quite heavy on the foot.
- Short tongue and laces.
4. Best Budget Option – New Balance Women’s Fitness Walking Shoes
When it comes to sportswear, New Balance is one of the top shoe brands in the world. What we love about New Balance is that they always keep on improving their products from time to time. They listen to customer reviews and improve their products.
Many people who have bought the New Balance Women’s Walking shoes have been pleased with its comfort and utility. Its sole unit has a rocker shape that enables the shoe to smoothly transition from heel to toe. The outsole is made of Ndurance rubber to give the shoe the necessary durability. The tread patterns on the outsole improve traction.
The New Balance 1865 walking shoe also makes use of the Walking Strike Path feature. As a result, the shoe centers your foot during your walking gait cycle to facilitate a steady forward movement. The midsoles are made of rapid rebound foam that gives the shoe its springy and bouncy characteristic.
Your foot will thus be protected from any pain or injuries since the shoe will attenuate the shock that results from each step that you take. Its FantomFit upper is skeletally-engineered to give the shoe a supportive yet lightweight construction. The toe boxes are strengthened using synthetic overlays. The shoe also has heel clips on all the sides of the heel area. The heel clips will hold your foot steady so that it doesn’t slide into the footwear.
- Midsole made of a rebound foam that gives it maximum energy return.
- Features additional cushioning that prevents your foot from over pronating.
- Feels comfortable even during extended walking periods.
- Have a nice toe box that is roomy enough.
- Offers adequate arch support.
- Very light.
- Very attractively priced.
- Made of durable material.
- The arch is quite lower hence you might need to wear thicker socks to compensate.
- Not excellently breathable.
- Quite narrow for people with wide feet.
5. Best for Wide Feet – Sketchers 15601 Women’s Wide Walking Shoe
Those with wide feet know how challenging it is to find sleek walking shoes that do not create blisters on the sides of their feet. That is why Sketchers 15601 is specifically meant for wide feet women. It is perfectly designed so that it will not look bulky on your feet.
It features a highly responsive and innovative 5GEN midsole design that cushions the shoe to make your steps springy so that you can have energetic strides. The thick 5GEN midsole will also absorb all the shock from your heel during the heel strike. Its midsole also functions as am outsole and has tread patterns that are woven-like.
This helps to give you maximum grip so that you can have a comfortable walking experience. Besides absorbing shock, the 5GEN cushioning midsoles are also designed to be durable and lightweight. Inside the shoe, there is a Goga Max insole that boosts the midsole cushioning. The insole also keeps your foot steady by offering maximum support.
The Sketcher’s women’s walking shoe also has a lightweight mesh upper. The upper stretches so that it can accommodate your foot movement. You can wear this shoe and walk for longer periods without it wearing your foot down.
- Athletic knit-in pattern on the upper gives it a stylish look.
- Superlight sockliner that delivers consistent foot support.
- Flexible construction that makes it perfect for wide feet.
- They are lightweight.
- Mesh upper makes them excellently breathable.
- The Goga Max insoles offers additional comfort by boosting the shoes shock absorption.
- Flex grooves on the outsole for maximum traction.
- Slip-on design for convenience.
- Reasonably priced.
- Alleviates foot pains and discomfort.
- Too wide for people with narrow feet.
- Thick heel makes everyone knows you are wearing an orthopaedic shoe.
Tips For Choosing Walking Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
If you experience some regular pain whenever you take a few steps then it could mean that you have plantar fasciitis. Although there are treatment options available, you can also get some relief by getting the right shoes.
Ordinary shoes will not work for you. As a result, you need the best walking shoes for plantar fasciitis. We feel that for men, Orthofeet Pacific Men Sneakers Palisades is the best option. This is because the shoe is excellently cushioned to make you feel comfortable when walking.
Its interior is also made of soft plush material to absorb all the impact from your heel so as to alleviate your foot pains. Walking on this shoe will feel like walking on pillows.
When it comes to the best walking shoes for women, we recommend Orthofeet Most Comfortable Verve Women Shoes . It is very comfortable and versatile. The shoe’s contoured insole design enables it to offer maximum arch support to your feet. This alleviates the foot pain that results from plantar fasciitis.
Keep in mind that your safety during your workout sessions should be a top priority to you. Since you will be working out outdoors most of the time, you need to also consider your safety while you are out.
FAQ – Walking Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
Q: Can You Use These Shoes with Orthotic Inserts?
A: Yes. These walking shoes are designed to allow you customize your comfort level by adding orthotic inserts. You can remove the shoe’s midsole inserts and add your own orthotic ones.
Q: Who Else Can Use These Plantar Fasciitis Walking Shoes?
A: Well, these shoes are not only meant for people suffering from plantar fasciitis but can also be used by people with flat feet, shin pain, ankle sprains and arthritis. You can talk to your physician to get recommendations first.
Q: Why Do My Walking Shoes Squeak?
A: Squeaks are as a result of an improper fit. They can also be as a result of the insole of your shoes. If the squeaks are as a result of your shoe’s insole, the best thing to do is to trim them so that you can achieve a fit that is glove-like.